Roles of the Basketball Committee
The Basketball Committee is composed of volunteer students from Duke University's Graduate & Professional Schools.
Each year, the Basketball Committee is responsible for planning and overseeing the distribution of season tickets to the men's home basketball games via Duke Basketball Campout. The policy for ticket distribution is composed by the committee and brought before the General Assembly for approval. The Basketball Chairs of this committee are appointed via a vote by active committee members.
Interested in Joining the Basketball Committee?
As a committee, we are always looking for new members, volunteers and ideas for Campout. All Duke Graduate and Professional students are welcome to join the Basketball Committee. There are a number of ways to get involved and volunteer and the degree of involvement is entirely up to each member. Your involvement as a committee member makes your eligible to usher Men's basketball games.
In our entirely biased opinion, there is no other group at Duke that has more fun doing their jobs than us! The Basketball Committee is a great way for students to meet people from outside their program/school and as an usher, you can attend basketball games and stand in the front of our section!
You can sign-up to be get basketball committee emails by subscribing to this listserv.
Much of the organization and planning that goes into Campout each year is performed by Sub-Committee Leaders. Sub-committee chair positions are filled via an application process that is open to all Graduate & Professional students in the spring. Many sub-committees work during the summer and solicit volunteers for various activities via the list-serve. In the fall, sub-committees will solicit volunteers at Basketball Committee meetings as well as through the list-serve.
Membership and Co-Chair Election Guidelines:
Any Graduate or Professional student of Duke University may be a member of the Committee.
1) The Campout Cycle will be defined as the period running from the first Committee event after the conclusion of the previous Basketball season until the conclusion of the current basketball season.
2) To qualify as an active Committee member, an individual must participate in at least one of the following:
a. Co-chairs; subcommittee chairs.
b. Line checker.
c. At least 3 hours of Campout service, as defined by Co-chairs and/or subcommittee chairs.
d. Community Service project leader.
e. Exemptions committee member.
3) To qualify as an elector on the Committee, an individual must have attended or been excused from at least 65% of the meetings of the previous Campout Cycle and be an active member.
4) Nominees for the position of Basketball Committee Chair must qualify as electors on the Committee in a previous Campout Cycle. The two Chairs must be elected individually, but two people wishing to serve together may suggest to the Committee that they be elected as a two-person ticket.
5) Each year, the Committee electors will nominate and elect two Chairs to head the Committee. Elections will take place within one week of the last Men’s Basketball game and at least two weeks prior to the final GPSC General Assembly meeting of the spring semester. For elections to take place a quorum of at least 15 electors or 40% of eligible electors, whichever is fewer, must be present. If quorum is not met at the scheduled election time, a new election will be scheduled within one week. If quorum is not met at the second election, the election will go to the GPSC General Assembly, where it will be decided by majority vote.
Electors will vote for two nominees, and a nominee will be elected upon receiving a vote from the majority of present electors. Elections will follow Robert’s Rules of Order with the addition of the following:
a. One or two nominees run for election: If one or both nominees fail to secure votes from the majority of electors present, nominations will be re-opened for an additional week at which time a second election will occur to fill the remaining open position(s).
b. If three nominees run and fewer than two secure a majority vote, all three nominees will be presented to the GPSC General Assembly, which will then vote to determine the winners.
c. If four or more nominees run and fewer than two secure a majority vote, there will be a run-off election between the top three vote-receiving nominees immediately following the initial election.
d. If the committee at any time fails to elect Chairs by majority votes through the above measures, the GPSC General Assembly will determine the Chairs.
2. The nominees selected by the Committee through the election process will be subject to approval by the GPSC General Assembly.
3. The Chairs shall designate a liaison to attend Assembly meetings in the four weeks leading up to, and the two weeks after Campout in order to take questions from Council Representatives regarding Campout issues and to keep the Assembly informed of relevant Campout information and dates.
The Basketball Committee shall maintain and fund a staff of ushers to work at Cameron Indoor Stadium during the basketball season per the Basketball Committee’s arrangement with the Duke University Athletic Department.
1) Head Ushers: The ushering staff will be run by two Head Ushers. The Head Ushers will be elected each year by the Committee immediately following the election of the Committee Chairs using the same procedure, except that the new Chairs will appoint new Head Ushers if the Committee does not elect them after two rounds of voting. Nominees for Head Usher must be current members of the ushering staff. Duke Athletics prefers for the Head Usher position to be a two-year commitment so one new Head Usher is elected each year if possible, and the Committee will consider this preference when holding elections. Duke Athletics retains the right to accept or reject the Committee nominations for Head Usher.
2) Ushering Staff: The ushering staff will be composed of active Basketball Committee members. In the event that more ushers are needed, or, there are not sufficient personnel to fill a game, the Head Ushers will select graduate or professional students who are not active members of the Basketball Committee to fill these slots.
5. Subcommittee Chairs:
Subcommittee chair positions will be approved by the Basketball Committee Chairs. Subcommittee chair members are expected to attend all Basketball Committee meetings, or designate a proxy.